Trademark Registration fees for MSME & Startups in India
Trademarks play a pivotal role in protecting a brand’s identity and reputation. For Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and startups in India, registering a trademark is not only essential but also a strategic move to establish their presence in the market. However, the cost associated with trademark registration can be a significant concern for these entities. In this blog, we will delve into the trademark registration fees for MSMEs and startups in India, shedding light on the benefits and the steps involved.
What is Trademark ?
Before we discuss the fees, let’s understand what a trademark is and why it’s crucial for businesses. A trademark is a unique symbol, word, phrase, or design that distinguishes your goods or services from those of others. It serves as a badge of authenticity, allowing consumers to recognize and trust your brand. Registering a trademark provides legal protection, preventing others from using a similar mark for similar goods or services.
Businesses in India, whether online or offline, have built a strong brand recognition in the market by utilizing their unique offer, ideas, and innovative products. However, once a strong brand has been established, it must be safeguarded from third-party misuse and plagiarism, and trademark registration is the only method to do so! This article will go over the cost of registering a trademark capable of representing your brand in the market, as well as the benefits of doing so.
Business owners should register a trademark to protect their ideas, and in this digital age, this process is easier than ever. This has also significantly decreased the trademark registration fees. You can now save the hassle of printing the application, correctly filling it out, and paying the required costs offline via cash or other means. Everything may now be resolved with a single button press.
Trademark Registration Fees in India
If someone is deeply committed to their business, they must recognize the value of safeguarding it at all costs because they have worked so hard to establish it. They must be aware of the vulnerabilities and problems they will face if they do not.
For the majority of business owners, trademark registration functions as brand protection. If something goes wrong, such as someone attempting to copy your company name or design, you must use your trademark registration to your advantage. With this leverage, you will be able to gain all of the benefits of trademark registration, including the right to sue individuals who steal your work in court.
The cost of trademark registration in India is divided into two parts: government fees and professional expenses. The distinction between these two is that professional fees are uniform throughout the country, whereas government fees vary based on the individual. The government fees for trademark registration are 9,000 per application per class for the firm. The government fee for trademark registration for an individual or msme or startup entity is $4,500 per application per class.
Government Fees for Trademark Registration
There will be different Government Fee for single marks, series of marks, and collective marks charged on per class basis. Governement Fees for filing a single mark in a single class for an individual, a DPIIT registered startup, and a registered MSME, the government charge for trademark registration is ₹4,500 per class per application. For all other entities, the government fees for trademark registration are ₹9,000 per class per application. The fees for registering a collective mark is ₹10,000 per class per application. Follow the table below to check out the detailed trademark fees for MSME & Startups in India.
Type of applicant
Non Individual Applicants (Company, LLP, Firm etc)
MSME and Startup Availing 50% Concession
Trademark Filing Fee
Trademark Offline Filing Fee
Conditions to apply for Trademark registration
No conditions applied
No conditions applied
Benefits of Trademark Registration for MSMEs and Startups
- Brand Protection: Trademarks act as legal shields, safeguarding your brand from infringement and unauthorized use. This ensures that your unique identity remains yours.
- Consumer Recognition: A registered trademark helps consumers identify your products or services among a sea of competitors, establishing trust and loyalty.
- Asset Value: A registered trademark can be a valuable intangible asset, adding to your company’s overall value. It can even be sold or licensed for additional revenue.
- Market Expansion: Trademarks can be your ticket to global markets, giving you exclusive rights to your brand name and logo not only in India but also internationally.
Trademark Registration Proces:
- Trademark Search: Conduct a meticulous trademark search to ensure your chosen trademark is unique and not already registered. This avoids unnecessary hurdles during the registration process.
- File the Application: Submit the trademark application (Form TM-A) online or through a trademark attorney. Accurate and complete information about your brand and the goods or services it represents is essential.
- Pay the Government Fees: Pay the applicable government fees while making the most of any concessions or discounts available to MSMEs and startups.
- Examination: The trademark office will scrutinize your application, which may include raising objections or seeking clarifications. Promptly address any queries or concerns.
- Publication: Once approved, your trademark will be published in the Trademark Journal, allowing third parties to oppose registration if they have objections.
- Registration: If there are no oppositions, or if they are successfully resolved, your trademark will be registered, and you will receive a registration certificate.
Trademark registration is not just a formality; it’s an investment in the long-term success and recognition of your business. For MSMEs and startups in India, the government’s initiatives and concessions in reducing trademark registration fees are a significant boon. By seizing this opportunity and safeguarding your intellectual property, you are laying a strong foundation for your brand’s growth and security. So, don’t hesitate to protect your brand today and reap the benefits tomorrow!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The government fees for trademark registration vary based on the type of applicant, number of classes, and mode of filing. For individuals, startups, and MSMEs, reduced fees are applicable. For E – filing Application, A trademark registration fee starts from ₹4,500 to ₹9,000. Small businesses, startups, sole proprietorships, and individuals are eligible for the lower trademark fee of ₹4,500. For other entities, the government trademark registration fee is ₹9,000.
The cost for trademark registration for MSMEs and startups is generally lower due to government concessions. Government fee for trademark registration for msme and startups is ₹4,500.
Yes, there can be additional charges for services such as expedited processing, trademark search, and professional fees if you hire a trademark attorney.