FSSAI Central License

The FSSAI Central License is a mandatory license required for food businesses operating in more than one state or having an annual turnover of more than ₹20 crores. It is issued by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), a statutory body under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. The license is valid for a period of 1-5 years and can be renewed before the expiry date.  Contact Us for more

Request Quotation/ Call back

Apply for FSSAI Central License

The Central License of FSSAI is primarily applicable for large food business operators, e-commerce operators, people involved in the export or import of food items. We extend our support in filing and subsequent follow-up with FSSAI.

Eligibility for FSSAI Central License

  • Dairy units including milk Chilling Units equipped to handle or process – More Than 50,000 Liters of Liquid Milk/ Day or 2500 MT of Milk Solid per Annum
  • Vegetable oil Processing Unit and units producing vegetable oil by the process of solvent extraction and refineries including oil expeller unit – More then 2MT per day
  • Slaughtering Unit – Large Animal (More than 50) Per day Small Animals (150 or More) per day
  • Poultry Bird (1000 or More) Per Day
  • Meat Processing Units – More Than 500Kg of Meat per day or 150 MT per annum
  • All Food processing units including relabellers & repackers – More than 2MT/ day except grains, cereals and pulses milling units
  • Proprietary Food – All
  • 100% Export oriented unit – All

All Importer importing Food Item Including Food ingredients and additives for commercial use are eligible for Central FSSAI License

Food Catering Services established in Central Govt premises are eligible for Central License Only

Food Business Operators operating in two or more states must take appropriate FSSAI Registration or License in all the states and a Central License at the Head Office.

All E-Commerce operators, for example, Flipkart or amazon, need to take Central License. It does not mean that the merchants selling through such platforms also need a central license.

FSSAI Central License Fees



2,499/- All Inclusive
  • FSSAI Registration is mandatory if your Food Business have turnover is less than 12 lac in a Financial Year and the business is within the state


State License

4,999/ + Govt Fee
  • FSSAI State License Required When turnover is more than 12 Lac & upto 20 Crores for retailer/ 30 Crores for wholesalers


Central License

7,999/ + Govt Fee
  • FSSAI Central License require for all cases where turnover exceeds limits prescribed for state License or involved in export.

List of Documents for Central FSSAI License

The documents required for the grant of FSSAI License are prescribed differently for Non-Manufacturing FBO and for Manufacturing FBO. In the table below, we have categories for the list of documents required. Based on the nature of business, additional documents are needed, and the same is provided separately.

For Non Manufacturing / Non Producing Unit

Company Documents

  • Certificate of Incorporation, MOA & AOA, PAN Card
  • List of Directors
  • Board Resolution
  • Form IX: Nomination Form
  • List of Food Products

 Documents of Directors & Nominee

  • Pan card and Adhaar Card 
  • Educational Qualification

Proof of Address of Food Business.

  • Sale Deed/ Rent agreement, and
  • Electricity Bill Not Older than two months

Note: A nominee is a person responsible for the compliances of Food laws, their rules, and regulations, for the Food Business.

For Manufacturing Unit / Producing Unit

All other documents that is prescribed for non manufacturing or non producing uits and the following additional documents:

  • The processing unit’s blueprint/layout plan shows the metres/square metres and operation-wise area allocation dimensions.
  • Photograph of Manufacturing/Production unit.
  • List of Machinery and Equipment and along with the number, installed capacity and horsepower used.
  • Water test Analysis report (Chemical & Bacteriological) from a recognized/ public health laboratory to confirm the portability indicating the name of an authorized representative of Lab who collected the sample and date of collecting the sample(Not applicable if water is not being used as an ingredient)
  • Recall Plan

Additional Documents Based on Activities are as under

  • Hotels/Restaurants, Providers of Other Prepared Food.

    Analysis report (Chemical & Bacteriological) of Vending water to be used as an ingredient in food in a Food Establishments, Club/Canteen or any. The report must be from a recognized public health laboratory. It is required to confirm the potability of water used in food. The water analysis report is to bear the date of collecting the sample and the name of the staff of Lab who collected the sample (It is applicable where water is used as an ingredient)
  • Additional Documents for Importer of Food Items

    1. Import Export Code (IEC). IEC certificate is a document issued by the Director-General Of Foreign Trade(DGFT).
    2.Recall Pan
  • Additional Documents for Merchant Exporter

    1. Import Export Code certificate.
    2. Declaration that the applicant shall sell the products meant for export in the domestic market. Further, the export products must meet the standards of importing countries
  • Packaged Drinking Water

    Pesticide residues report of water for units engaged in manufacturing packaged drinking water, packaged Mineral water and carbonated water. The report must be from a recognized public health laboratory. It is required to confirm the potability of water used in food. The pesticide residue report is to bear the date of collecting the sample, the name of Lab staff who collected the sample and Source of raw water and the treatment plan

Timeline for Grant of FSSAI Central License

The Licensing Authority issues the FSSAI Central License within 60 days of applying a complete application by an FBO. It includes time taken in scrutinization of application and inspection of premises by the concerned authority.

Renewal of FSSAI License

FBO shall make an application to renew a license granted under these Regulations not later than 30 days before the expiry date indicated in the License. An applicant can file a renewal application 120 days in advance. The License shall continue to be in force till the disposal of the renewal application. Further, the licencing authorities must decide the renewal within 30 days of the expiry of the licence.

The designated officers may order an inspection before renewal if considered necessary for reasons to be recorded in writing. No inspection is required if the Food Business Operator has a valid certificate from an agency accredited by the Food Authority, an accredited food safety auditor, or any other organization notified by FSSAI.

If the renewal application is not made within the validity period, the licence shall expire, & the Food Business Operator shall stop all business activity at the premises. The Food Business Operator will have to apply for a new license if it wants to restart it.

FSSAI Annual Return

Every FSSAI Licensed FBOs involved in Manufacturing and Importing of Food Products including those engaged in manufacturing of Milk and Milk Products shall furnish online periodic annual returns with effect from FY 2020-21 as per notification dated 18th Dec 2020.

The returns shall be submitted online on Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS) not beyond 31st May for each year. Every licensee shall file a separate return for each License, i.e. for each food unit. It is immaterial that the same Food Business Operator holds more than one License. Any delay in filing return beyond 31st May of each year shall attract a penalty of Rs 100 per day of delay.

FSSAI Registration, FSSAI License, foscos fssai registration, Food license

Exemption From Annual Return under FSSAI

  • Food Business Operators (FBOs), including Petty Food Business Operators holding FSSAI Registration Certificate, are not required to submit annual returns.
  • Presently, the provision of annual return submission is not applicable for other Kind of Businesses (Such as Distributor, Wholesaler, Retailer, Storage, Transporter and Food. Services etc.)